Facts About the Cardiovascular System
• In 1616, William Harvey, an English physician, is believed to be the
first person to describe the heart/blood circulatory system.
• During an average lifespan, the heart beats 3,000,000,000 times.
• About 2,000 gallons of blood are pumped through your heart every
• It takes a blood cell just 60 seconds to circulate throughout your body
while at rest.
• Blood that is rich in oxygen appears red, whereas blood low in oxygen appears bluish.
• Blood pressure is the force your blood exerts against the walls of your blood vessels. This pressure is
generated by the contraction of your heart.