Facts About the Endocrine System
• In 1923, two scientists, Frederick Banting and John Macleod, won
the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine for discovering insulin, a
hormone that regulates blood sugar levels.
• There are nearly 30 different hormones made in your body.
• Hormones made in the hypothalamus gland control feelings of
hunger and thirst.
• The thyroid gland controls how much energy and stamina you have
throughout the day.
• The pineal gland releases melatonin, which is responsible for controlling sleep-wake patterns.
• Dwarfism is caused when there is not enough growth hormone released from the pituitary gland during