Facts About the Renal System
• Each kidney has about 1,000,000 filtering units, called nephrons.
• Every 45 minutes, your whole blood supply passes through your
• Roughly 40 gallons of blood in women and 48 gallons of blood in
men are filtered each day.
• The color of your urine can reflect if you are drinking enough water;
it is usually light yellow if you are drinking enough water and dark
yellow if you are not.
• For someone with kidney failure, it typically takes 4 hours of dialysis,
3 times a week to perform the filtering duties of normal kidneys.
• The need to urinate is felt when about 1 cup of urine fills the bladder.