Facts About the Respiratory System
• Your right lung is bigger than your left lung.
• There is an average of 480,000,000 alveoli in each lung of an adult.
• The breathing rate in men is slower than in women and children.
• The surface area of the membranes in your lungs involved in gas
exchange is around the size of a tennis court.
• You lose two cups of water a day from breathing.
• A muscle under your lungs, called the diaphragm, helps your lungs inflate and deflate.
• In 1910, August Krogh demonstrated that oxygen is delivered to your tissues from your blood when it diffuses
from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration.